Saturday, September 5, 2009

Draw!

On page 151, Daniel Pink encourages readers to exercise their creativity through none other than art. Okay, so I may not be a very artistic person; however, I took the advice and played around with a five-line self-portrait that Pink demonstrated. It was quite difficult to turn five lines into something that resembled the face I see in the mirror, but in reality, what I learned was to look beyond the exterior to find what is underneath. Today's society relies heavily on outward appearances. There seems to be one mold that defines "pretty". Growing up, I can remember hearing over and over, "Don't judge a book by its cover." In elementary school that phrase did not mean much to me, but now I see that it is hard to find someone living by that motto. Through this simple activity, drawing myself, I've thought deeply on what defines a person. When I try to explain it, I can't help but think of a sandwich. We all may resemble one another on the outside, but its what is on the inside that truly matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment